Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Confessions of a Bookaholic


I love books. I might have a scholastic problem;) So because of that I had to figure out a way to manage all those awesome books and make them accessible for my students. I am planning to extend the libary with even more boxes this upcoming year to accomodate my growing collection.  To contain my books I invested in clear shoe boxes and made labels for my categories.

Go to fullsize image
I printed and taped the labels to the side of the shoe boxes and stacked them on the shelves with the labels facing out. For some boxes I put two labels on them to consolidate.  

To help my students keep the books organized I used paint sticks. I went to Home Depot and told them it was for my class and they gladly gave me some. I wrote each of their names on a stick and kept them in a bucket near the library and had several mini lessons on how to use them. They did so great that half way through the year I took away the sticks and they continued to put the books back in the correct tub. Success!;)
Go to fullsize image
To download  your own set of book labels click here!

Be sure to check out our friend 3rd Grade Gridiron for her story about the children's book obsession!
Would love to hear your comments!

3 comments:

  1. Yes! All three of us have a Scholastic problem! But it's for a great cause...the kids! :) Love the paint stick idea!

    Dana
    3rd Grade Gridiron

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the paint sticks. That is actually on my Summer to do list. Our school library has a bucket of paint sticks on the front desk. They are painted cool designs using our school colors (stripes, polk a dots, etc). I am going to paint some paint sticks...that sounds funny...for my room! Oh, an going to cute up the bucket too. I will be sure to post a picture when I am finished! I am a new follower!
    Tammy
    Live Love Laugh Everyday In Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can tell by this picture what the priority is in your classroom...BOOKS:) I love it!!
    Jonelle
    A Place Called Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete