Friday, June 8, 2012

Shedding our Shells

At the end of each year I read The Hermit Crab to my students. As I read we discuss how they have filled their Kindergarten shell with what they have learned and now they need a bigger shell in First Grade to fill with knowledge next year. We brainstorm ideas together of what kind of things "filled our shells" this year (what they learned). Then I give each student a paper plate to paint with water color (which they LOVE....we don't get to do much painting anymore;) And then I give them pom poms, scraps of paper, stickers, buttons, basically anything you can find to glue on. Then I give each student writing paper to write about what they learned in Kindergarten. It's so cute to see what they come up with..things I may have even forgotten about. Finally, I have a little template of a hermit crab they cut out and I staple to the paper plate (it's a hard copy...I don't have an electronic copy...SORRY!) But it's super easy to do. So if you're looking for a good end of the year activity you might want to try this!

1 comment:

  1. We did these at the end of the year. They came out awesome!

    http://pinterest.com/pin/231161393343153337/

    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-X0RdBqfNZNk/TmQsGTUVKQI/AAAAAAAAEAY/jZJ91NHD-TM/s1600/DSC_5120.JPG

    ReplyDelete